In 1959, the Rolling Hills Fire Protection District No. 1 was one of only three Wagoner County Fire Departments and protected over 140 square miles of Wagoner and Rogers Counties. Today the district responds to 32 square miles in Wagoner County and has automatic and/or mutual aid agreements with Catoosa Fire, Oak Grove Fire, Tulsa Fire and Broken Arrow Fire.
In 2008, the construction of Station 2 at 44th and 214th East Avenue to provide fire protection to the southern area of the fire district and consists of four apparatus bays, two offices, a bathroom, and living quarters. Station 2 was constructed with money from an 80/20 fire grant, fundraisers, and the help of District 1 Wagoner County Commissioner Tom Vincent
The original apparatus consisted of two fire apparatus. In 1993, the district begins to upgrade apparatus with two engines, two brush trucks, a tanker and a rescue truck. Today the district operates four engines, one ladder truck, seven brush trucks, one tanker, one air and light truck, one rescue squad, one utility truck and four command vehicles between the two stations.
The Rolling Hills Fire Protection District No. 1 currently has an Insurance Service Office rating of 7. We respond to average of 225 calls per year with over forty members. We have seen many changes over the last fifty plus years and even though the district today is much different than it was in 1959; the one thing that has never seemed to change is the same dedication, determination, and pride that every man and woman has possessed to make the Rolling Hills Fire Protection District No. 1 what it is today.
At a later date the Rolling Hills Fire Department Board of Directors petitioned the County Commissioners of Wagoner County to receive a fire tax paid from the ad valorem tax paid by the homeowners in Rolling Hills. With the help of the County Commissioners, the District Attorney, and the legislators, Oklahoma State Statue Title 19 was created in regards to “Fire Protection Districts” making the Rolling Hills Fire Department the first Title 19 Fire District in the State of Oklahoma and hence changing the name to the Rolling Hills Fire Protection District No. 1
The original Rolling Hills fire station was constructed at its current location 40 South 200th East Avenue in the Rolling Hills addition and consisted of two apparatus bays, a rest room and small dispatch office. The original station was remodeled in 1993, 1998 and most recently in 2004. The station now consists of seven apparatus bays, two bathrooms, four offices, and a meeting room, kitchen, living quarters, and sleeping quarters. This remodel was made possible with three 80/20 fire grants and the help of District 1 Wagoner County Commissioners Allen Farley and Tom Vincent.
The Rolling Hills Fire Department was organized in 1959 after several homeowners in the Rolling Hills housing development recognized the need for closer, reliable, and efficient fire protection. Prior to the organization of the fire department the area relied on the cities of Tulsa and Broken Arrow Fire Departments. The homeowners used their personal funds to purchase materials and labor to construct the fire station, purchase fire apparatus, equipment, fuel, and pay day to day operating cost of the department.